1. Complete an application online via the NYOS website, and upload a passport style photo of yourself (paper copies of the form can also be printed from the website).
If you have already completed a classical application, and want to apply to the NYOS Jazz Programme as well, you must complete a second application.
2. You will then receive an email with a private Dropbox link to a range of familiar jazz standards with associated backing tracks.
3. Choose the TWO standards which you feel give an accurate portrayal of your current level and experience of playing jazz.
It is in your interests to submit your form as early as possible to give you time to prepare and record your submission!
4. Submit video recordings of the two pieces (either with live backing or the backing tracks provided).
Please read our Recorded Submission Guidelines carefully. ALL applicants to the NYOS Jazz Programme are asked to submit video recordings as part of the audition process.
Application forms: Midnight on Friday 19 October 2018
Video recordings: Midnight on Sunday 4 November 2018
It may not be possible to consider late submissions.
PLEASE NOTE: your application is to the Jazz Programme as a whole and the decision which course/ensemble will be best suited to you remains with the Directors, irrespective of which pieces you choose to play in your recorded submission.
Once the Directors have seen your video recording, if they wish to consider you for either NYOS Jazz Access or the NYOS Jazz Orchestra, you will be invited to a live audition during the weekend of 30 November-2 December, which you must be able to attend in person.
Following selection, all applicants will either be invited to the Summer School, or to become a member of NYOS Jazz Access or the NYOS Jazz Orchestra.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in December.
You may wish to ask your instrumental teacher, school or music centre if they are able to help you with either the performance or recording.
You must play your pieces with accompaniment. Backing tracks for all the charts will be available in the private link provided and you can choose to use these for practice and if you wish, for the recording itself. However, if you play regularly with an ensemble, you may prefer to ask the rhythm players to accompany you; or you may wish to enlist the help of a teacher who could accompany you on the piano.
- Candidates must present at least 2 choruses of solo and comp, if appropriate to their instrument. Please do not play the theme.
- Candidates may choose tempo, feel and key.
- Drummers should demonstrate a range of standard jazz-related grooves within their choice of pieces, for example samba, 3/4 swing and even 8s ECM style.
- If appropriate to their level and experience of playing jazz, pianists, guitarists and drummers must demonstrate an interactive, small group approach; pianists must comp for a bass solo, guitarists for a piano solo.